I don’t know what happened but yesterday this blog saw a spike in traffic. It normally averages less than 80 views per day but yesterday – 539.
I have done some quick analysis:
Most of the traffic is coming from Google.
About 200 views hit my home page rather than a specific post, the others are on a variety of posts – no hotspot there.
The search terms used are no different from other days.
All I can surmise is that either another Ross Goodman (there are a few of us) has done something and lots of people have found this site or Google have changed an algorithm somewhere and I’m benefiting from it.
Well it’s September now and this is my second post of the year!
It’s been a busy year but no excuses – I have neglected my blog. To make up for this I treated my blog to a new host. Gone are PlusNet and in are TSOHost.
I can’t recommend TSOHost highly enough. Within hours of me sending my backup to them they had migrated my blog and it was up and running and it’s MUCH faster! More importantly it’s back onto a supported software stack and it’s patched and up to date !
I have stacks of ideas for blog posts; specifically a series on using Tasker on android phones to send data to web forms , collating and analysing data in google spreadsheets then using web services to send data back to tasker to display a dashboard on your phone!
As an added bonus – previously some of my posts were password protected – these are now free and open!
As usual the WordPress upgrade was a flawless experience. It ran with no errors.
I’d love to say that my site is working perfectly, but it’s not.
I have this weird error where the visual editor does not work.
If I click on the “Visual” button, then the text editing box shrinks down until you cannot see it.
Click the HTML button, the same thing happens.
The only thing that I can get to work is; from the user settings, disable visual editing, then the HTML editor works as expected.
I used the wp-upgrade addin to automatically upgrade, no errors, but no visual editing.
I then did a fresh install, on the same host, using the same database, just with a different table prefix. Everything worked fine.
I then backed up all of my files, deleted the old site, copied the new one in it’s place. I then copied the relevant folders back from my old site, wp-content.
Same result, no visual editor.